Sunday, April 10, 2011

Choosing the Right School

You should always take choosing the college you want to go to seriously. I made the mistake of choosing the easy way out when I finished high school. I was left going to classes that I didn't even care about and doing assignments that I knew nothing about. Getting grades that I didn't want and having a future full of work that I wasn't really interested in wasn't fun. I dreaded doing the kind of job I was going to school to have. I originally when to a technical college to be a nurse. I was selfish in my reasons for choosing to go there and my studies that I wanted to go for. I thought that it would be good money and I would "get used to" being a nurse. It was an outlook that I wasn't sure about, I was scared to death about it. How can you have a dream about something that you're so unsure about?
I attended that college for about a year and then had to take the NLN-PN test. I did not study like I should have, because I was just plain unmotivated to succeed. I knew the chances of me getting "picked" to go further in the program were [very] slim, but I just didn't have the passion or will-power to do what I had to do to do good on the test. I guess I just didn't take it seriously. Well, I ended up doing horrible on the test and getting a letter telling me "options." In a rage of anger and tears I picked up the phone and called to talk to someone about this letter, and I was informed that I could "wait another year" or "choose another program." When you think you have your life figured out to the tee and everything is going like you thought it should be going, the last thing you want to do is choose another program.  I felt like giving up, I really did, but I knew better. I sat down and thought about my options. I actually thought about what it was that I was really interested in and I could picture myself doing. So, I applied to Emmanuel College for my Psychology major and I know that's what I want to do. I love going to school  there. I love the thought of finishing all my schooling and then becoming a Clinical Psychologist. Nothing would make me happier, and this I'm sure of. I will admit that it was a great experience though, going to that school first was practice for college life. It was a starting point, in my opinion, for the better things to come.
What I'm really getting at here is take the time to choose what you want to do. Don't make an emotional-breakdown be the turning point- the part where you actually wake up and figure out you were wrong all along. I learned from my mistakes and that's good, but if anyone can learn anything from me I hope this is it. Don't go in it for the money, don't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment